- Identifying the deceased person’s assets and debts.
- Proving to the court that the person has a valid will.
- Paying debts, such as taxes.
- Property appraisal.
- Distributing property based on the direction of the will.
Due to all the paperwork and legalities, it is best to hire a probate attorney to assist with the process. This will ensure that you remain on track from start to finish. Furthermore, it will allow you to pass off most the work to a professional, thus giving you the time you need to grieve.
Your Relationship with an Attorney
You understand the benefits of hiring a probate attorney. You know what this person can do for you during this time. Even so, if you don’t know what is expected it is easy to get in the way or hold back the process.
Here are three steps you can take to ensure that you and your attorney are on the same page at all times:
- Provide the necessary information without delay. When your attorney requests something from you, such as an insurance document or tax return, don’t delay in providing it. The longer you wait the longer it will take for your case to be resolved.
- Speak up. Do you have questions about the probate process in your state? Are you concerned that you have made a mistake? Don’t be shy about speaking up. Your attorney is available to answer any and all questions. They know the answers, so you might as well ask.
- Stay in touch regarding the progress of the case. You want to know if things are moving forward, what is required of you, and when to expect a final resolution. There is a good chance that you will be hearing from others, such as the beneficiaries, regarding the process and how it is unfolding. When you stay in touch with your attorney, you can provide accurate answers.
Do you require the assistance of a probate attorney? If so, contact us at your earliest convenience.
- What You Need to Know About SECURE Act 2.0 - March 30, 2023
- Show Your Love by Creating an Estate Plan - March 15, 2023
- What Happens When You Don’t Trust Your Trustee – Part II - March 7, 2023