Creating a will is one of the most basic aspects of estate planning. If nothing else, this document will ensure that your assets are left to the appropriate party.
As simple as it sounds to create a will, there are many important steps you must take along the way to make it a VALID will. There are also other estate planning strategies that can work in conjunction with a will.
Even if your financial situation is straight forward, there are aspects of creating a will that will pose challenges. For this reason, you should hire an estate planning attorney to help you with the process. It is better to have the assistance of a professional than to create a will on your own, simply hoping that you are doing everything the right way.
Here are several important details to consider when creating a will:
1. Who is going to help you? You should turn to a local, experienced attorney who can guide you through the process. This person can answer your questions, provide advice, and explain details that you may have been overlooking.
2. Choose an executor/Personal Representative. This is a big decision, as this person will be responsible for ensuring that your assets are distributed properly, that all debt is paid off, etc. Before choosing an executor, ask this person if they are comfortable taking on the responsibility.
3. Include clear instructions. The last thing you want is for your will to be so complicated that your executor has a difficult time understanding your intentions. This is where a knowledgeable attorney can step in and provide assistance.
4. Don’t forget about your children. If you have minor children, you need to have a plan for them if you pass on. Most importantly, who will be the guardian? This is one detail you cannot afford to overlook.
5. Keep your will in a safe place. Along with this, make sure others know where you have stored the will and additional estate planning documents. This way it can be easily found in the event of your death.
Getting Help with Creating a Will in Baraboo
These are five of the most important details to focus on when creating a will. When you hire an experienced Baraboo estate planning attorney to guide you through the process, you never have to worry about making mistakes or leaving questions unanswered. Go to KH-LAW.net to schedule your Free estate planning consultation.
- What You Need to Know About SECURE Act 2.0 - March 30, 2023
- Show Your Love by Creating an Estate Plan - March 15, 2023
- What Happens When You Don’t Trust Your Trustee – Part II - March 7, 2023