A Living Will is a legal document that allows you to express to medical professionals your beliefs regarding artificial life support.
Three primary benefits of a Living Will are:
1. Maintain control. Despite the fact that you are not able to physically communicate your wishes with your loved ones and doctors, with a Living Will you know you are going to be cared for in accordance with your wishes.
2. Peace of mind. Whether your beliefs are to maintain life regardless if you are in a vegetative state through artificial life support or your beliefs are to remove artificial life support if you are in a vegetative state, you will have peace of mind knowing that your wishes will be honored with a Living Will.
3. Relief to Loved Ones. There may not be a more difficult decision that could face your loved ones than that involving whether to maintain or remove artificial life support for you. There may be a time when the doctors indicate that you have reached a vegetative state or have reached a medical state that the feeding tube or some other artificial life support is the only means maintaining your life. Without a Living Will, your loved ones are put in the very difficult situation of guessing your wishes. Worse yet, if your loved ones disagree on the approach, law suits can arise. A Living Will will relieve your loved ones of this decision because you have taken the initiative of putting into place a valid Living Will clearly indicating your wishes in these circumstances.
A Living Will is just one of the many pieces necessary for an effective Estate Plan. Go to KH-Law.net and schedule your Free estate planning consultation today.
- The Toll of Serving as Fiduciary - May 11, 2022
- Just When You Thought You Understood the 10-Year Rule, Think Again - May 5, 2022
- Business Succession Planning May Be Easier than You Think - May 2, 2022