It is good to know that there is a legal professional who is willing to provide you with a high level of assistance. At the same time, you can’t get much out of this relationship if you don’t know what to ask, what you are trying to accomplish, and the steps you need to take in the near future.
Before you ever decide to consult with an estate planning attorney, make a long list of questions to address. You may not get around to all of these during your first conversation, but they can go a long way in pushing the discussion forward and helping you understand what is going on.
Note: just as you are going to have a variety of questions, don’t be surprised if your estate planning attorney has a few for you. This helps the person get a better idea of who you are and what you are trying to accomplish. Be sure to answer each and every question in full and as accurately as possible.
Ask These Questions
Are you unsure of what you should discuss with your estate planning? If so, you aren’t alone. You know that you need to consult with a legal professional who can help you with your estate plan. What you don’t know is where to start and how to ensure that you are on the same page.
Below are several questions that you may want to ask. As you ask these, don’t be surprised if several others come to mind. You can then add those to your list to ensure that you are getting all the assistance you require.
- When you review my estate plan what do you see? This gives the attorney the chance to tell you the good and bad, while also providing advice that can change things for the better.
- Can you help me create an estate plan from scratch? While some people have gone through estate planning in the past, others don’t know the first thing about this. Instead, they are stuck and looking for help. You want to work with an attorney who has helped others in your position achieve success.
- What is the process for comparing the many documents that can be used when creating an estate plan? While your estate planning attorney may know the ins and outs of every document, it goes without saying that you don’t have nearly as much knowledge. It’s essential that you discuss the finer details with your attorney, as this is the only way to know for sure that you aren’t missing something.
- What would you suggest to somebody in my position? It is one thing to create an estate plan. It is another thing entirely to do everything the right way, right now. This is why you want to ask your attorney for guidance.
- What should I watch out for in the future? It’s a good idea to think long and hard about what the future will bring. Even though you may go through estate planning today, there is a good chance this is something you will have to revisit in the future.
Here are some other questions to ask:
- How much experience do you have helping people in my position?
- Do you have time to assist me in the near future?
- What do you need from me in order to help with the estate planning process?
If nothing else, contact an experienced professional and go from there. This will help you get a better feel for what the person can do.
Do you have questions? Are you ready to learn more about estate planning? Call us today at 608-824-9540.
- What You Need to Know About SECURE Act 2.0 - March 30, 2023
- Show Your Love by Creating an Estate Plan - March 15, 2023
- What Happens When You Don’t Trust Your Trustee – Part II - March 7, 2023