Apart from the usual retirement and checking accounts, home, and cars, there are several other possible assets in a marriage that should not be forgotten:
1. Collections, such as coins, guns, sports cards, art, music, or any other collectible;
2. Intellectual property: copyrights, trademarks, registered internet names
3. Sports equipment, particularly bicycles and season tickets;
4. Purebred pets or other animals;
5. Musical instruments;
6. Stock options;
8. Banked sick/vacation time;
9. Deferred income;
10. Credit card points or airline miles;
12. Advanced education degrees.
These are just a few of the non-traditional assets that may exist. In each divorce, all sources of assets should be carefully explored. Assets accumulated over the course of a marriage should be allocated fairly. I look forward to working with family clients to seek a complete understanding of those assets.
- What You Need to Know About SECURE Act 2.0 - March 30, 2023
- Show Your Love by Creating an Estate Plan - March 15, 2023
- What Happens When You Don’t Trust Your Trustee – Part II - March 7, 2023