When it comes to estate planning, there are things you need to do, things you should never do, and things that are sure to boggle your mind.
Here is what you need to know: every estate planning challenge, no matter how big it may be, can be overcome with the right approach.
First things first, you need to be open and honest during the process. When creating an estate plan, understand that there will be challenges along the way. This is something to expect, and there is no way around it.
Secondly, don’t move on until you address every challenge. If you overlook the importance of a particular detail, it could come back to haunt you and/or your family in the future.
Here are three estate planning challenges that many have faced in the past:
- Choosing a beneficiary. Who are you going to leave your estate to when you pass on? While some people have a clear idea, others don’t know where to start. This is a definite challenge, as it is one of the primary reasons to create an estate plan.
- Selecting a guardian for any minor children. This is a huge decision, as you want to know that your children will be safe if something happens to you. As challenging as it may be to select a guardian, you have no choice but to make an informed decision at some point.
- Knowing which estate planning tools will work best. Some people opt for nothing more than a basic will. Others want to dig deeper, learning more about the many types of trusts. You have the right to use whichever tools you best see fit. Just make sure you know which ones are available to you.
Do you have concerns about these challenges? If so, contact us for more information and advice. We will make sure you find a solution to every problem you face.
- What You Need to Know About SECURE Act 2.0 - March 30, 2023
- Show Your Love by Creating an Estate Plan - March 15, 2023
- What Happens When You Don’t Trust Your Trustee – Part II - March 7, 2023