If you find yourself in this unenviable position, there are steps you must take if you have plans on filing a personal injury claim. While you can rely on the experience of an attorney, there are things you can do on your own to improve your situation.
By taking the right steps immediately following your accident, the chance of filing an injury claim and receiving compensation is much greater.
Here are five suggestions to keep in mind:
1. Make note of as many details as possible. From the accident circumstances to your injuries to witness contact information, there are many things you should make note of, all of which could come in handy later on.
2. Keep track of conversations you have had with others involved in the accident. This can include witnesses, the other party, police (police report), and insurance companies.
Tip: you don’t want to say too much along the way, as you never know when a slip-up could come back to harm you.
3. Evidence is important. To go along with the police report, preserve any evidence that could strengthen your case in the future. This could be anything from taking photos of the accident scene and injuries to collecting physical evidence.
4. Don’t let witnesses get away. A good witness could be the difference between winning your personal injury case and coming up short. Make sure you stay in touch with anybody who witnessed the accident, as they can help prove your case.
5. Hire a personal injury attorney. When you take on this process without professional help, you could make mistakes that harm your chance of receiving compensation.
You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible, as this will improve your chance of success.
Over the years, we have helped many people injured in an accident receive the compensation they deserve. No matter if you have followed the suggestions above or not, we are here to help. Contact us to setup a free initial consultation.