As a bicyclist, you have the right to share the road with cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Even when you are following the rules of the road, doing everything as you should, the risk of an accident with a motor vehicle exists.
If you are the person on the bike, it is important that you do whatever you can to care for yourself following the accident. This may mean contacting the appropriate authorities, if able to do so, without delay.
Here are some steps to take:
1. Wait for police and emergency medical professionals to arrive. This is important for many reasons, including the fact that it will give police the chance to file a report. Along with this, you don’t want to make your injuries worse by attempting to walk or drive away from the scene.
2. Explain your idea of what happened, ensuring it is in the accident report. In many cases, police will make the mistake of taking a statement from the motorist and ignoring the cyclist. You don’t want this to happen. It is a must that you tell your side of the story, while also including all injuries, no matter how minor they may be.
3. Document your injuries. As you receive medical attention, from an emergency room visit to surgery, you should document everything you are going through. You will want medical records to back up your claims, as this will give you a better chance of winning your personal injury lawsuit.
4. Take the time to recover. You may be angry for a variety of reasons, but you must take the time to recover from your injuries and contact a qualified and experienced attorney.
5. Consult with a personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorney with bicycle accident experience is one that can review your case and determine how you should move forward.
There are many complex legal issues associated with bicycle and car accidents, so you want an attorney on your side who has proven success in this area.
Tip: you should never communicate with an insurance company on your own. Instead, you want your attorney to do this for you, as this is the best way to know that everything is being taken care of in the appropriate manner.
The more time you spend on your bike the better chance there is you will be involved in an accident. You should always do your best to remain safe, but if you are struck by a car the steps above can help.