Most people are never injured in a slip and fall accident, but you never know when you could find yourself in this position. Just when you least expect it, you could lose your balance, injure yourself, and require immediate medical attention.
There are many causes of a slip and fall accident, from ice on a sidewalk to liquid on a slippery retail store floor. Although you do your best to avoid dangerous situations, nobody watches every step they take.
If you are involved in such an accident, here is what you should do:
- Call for medical assistance. If you are unable to do so, ask somebody else to call on your behalf.
- Don’t make any statements regarding the accident. Instead, keep quiet as you focus on your health.
- Take notes regarding the accident, including the location, the property owner, and the steps leading up to the slip and fall.
- Collect contact information of any witnesses. This should include their name and phone number. A witness can help you obtain a favorable outcome to an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Take photos of the accident scene, as well as any injuries.
- Keep detailed records of any medical attention received, including bills.
- Do not give a statement to an insurance adjuster.
It is hard to keep your cool if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident. However, if you stick with these steps, you can be rest assured that you are moving forward in the right direction.
Tip: while you are sure to have a lot going through your mind, your health is priority number one. Seeking immediate medical attention is the best thing you can do.
Just the same as the accident itself, it can be challenging to make an insurance claim and/or file a lawsuit. If you need assistance obtaining compensation for your injuries and other damages, contact us to discuss your case.