If you don’t know exactly what you are doing, if you take the wrong step at any time, it could work against you in a number of ways.
Before we discuss the reasons to consult with a Wisconsin probate lawyer, it first makes sense to review the basic definition of probate. The American Bar Association defines this term as follows:
“Probate is the formal legal process that gives recognition to a will and appoints the executor or personal representative who will administer the estate and distribute assets to the intended beneficiaries.”
There are many myths surrounding the probate process, including the fact that this is always a long and expensive process. This can be the case in some situations, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll find yourself in a bad spot.
Creating an Estate Plan
If you’re creating an estate plan, you’ll want to consult with a Wisconsin probate lawyer who can provide you with advice on the steps you can take to help your heirs avoid this process.
For example, you may be able to use a trust to your advantage. Remember this: any assets held in the trust will not go through probate.
Furthermore, a probate attorney can answer all your questions in regards to how the process works. This may not be important to you right now, but knowing that you’re making decisions in the best interest of your family will give you peace of mind.
Probate After a Loved One’s Death
On the other side of the equation, there are people faced with the Wisconsin probate process because a loved one has recently passed on.
If you find yourself in this position, you know that there are many steps you need to take. You also know that you want to avoid mistakes at all costs.
There are many things a Wisconsin probate lawyer can assist you with, including the following:
- Reviewing the will and other estate planning documents to ensure that you understand what needs to be done.
- Answering all of your questions associated with the probate process, allowing you to feel confident in the decisions you are making.
- Identifying the probate court that will handle the process from start to finish.
- Filing all of the necessary paperwork.
- Making sure that the process moves forward as expected and without any major bumps in the road.
Since your probate attorney can help with so many details, it’s imperative that this person has a high level of experience and knowledge.
If you’re ready to hire a Wisconsin probate lawyer, here are some of the most important questions to ask:
- Can you explain how the probate process works in the state of Wisconsin?
- Have you helped other people in my situation in the past?
- Can you discuss some of the challenges that often arise during probate, as well as the steps that can be taken to avoid them?
- What information do you need from me upfront, as well as in the future?
- Is there anything that needs to be done right now in order to get the process moving as quickly as possible?
When you ask these types of questions, among others, you will get a better idea of what a probate attorney can do for you. As long as you’re comfortable with what your legal team provides, you can rely on them every step of the way. This may not sound like a big deal, but it goes a long way in easing your stress.
Are you interested in learning more about probate and other estate planning topics? If so, you’ve come to the right place.